Tuesday, March 16, 2010

becoming selfless

For the past couple of weeks my Conversations group has been talking about becoming selfless. We've been examing scriptures such as Philippians 2:3 which says, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." We've also considered the ultimate example of selflessness found in Jesus.

I've got a confession to make: I am selfish. I think about me, myself, and I way too much. My biggest complaint to God is, "why me?" and "what about me?"

Admitting that I am selfish is one step in the journey of becoming selfless. The next step in the journey is to actually practice selflessness. At the end of last week I tried to do one selfless act. I say "tried" because by the time I finished the act, I was mad at the person I was trying to do the act for. This week, however, I tried again...and succeeded! :)

The journey doesn't end with one selfless act. Rather, this is just the beginning of the journey. The challenge for me is to continue to practice selflessness. For now, the goal is to committ to at least one selfless act each week.

All of us struggle with selfishness. How do you deal with the selfishness in your life? What does your journey to becoming selfless look like?

No comments: