Wednesday, August 18, 2010

giving it up



Confession: I'm addicted to Mt. Dew.

For those of you who've known me any length of time know that Mt. Dew is my drink of choice.  You normally won't see me without one in my hand.  As of Monday, however, that has changed.

I've gone 2 days without a Mt. Dew.

Granted, 2 days is nothing to cheer about because I've actually gone longer without it.  (The longest was 5 months while in India.  But I drank a lot of Coke & Canada Dry while there.  Oddly enough I was able to lose 40 pounds during those 5 months.  That's another story, though.)

Anyway, I've noticed that I haven't really wanted a Mt. Dew in the last couple of days.  That surprises me because I really thought I would.  My hope is that it will just get easier as time goes by, but life doesn't work that way.  Nothing in life is easy.

The one really bad thing about not drinking Mt. Dew has been the headaches.  By the end of the day, my head is pounding!!  But, I'm trusting the advice of friends and professionals that the lasting results of giving up my Mt. Dew addiction will be well worth it.  Losing weight, gaining energy, and all that.  :)

Did you have an addiction that you've given up?  What advice would you give to those of us who have decided to give up our addiction?

No comments: