Thursday, July 5, 2012

Show Me the Scars

As followers of Jesus, I think we've got it set in our minds that it is not OK to question our faith.  (In fact, I wrote about this topic a few weeks ago.)  I also think we believe that we have to have faith like Abraham, Noah, or Peter.  You know, the type of faith that's unwavering.  Like Abraham moving to a foreign land he'd never seen.  Or building a boat like Noah even when he had never seen rain.  Or walking on water like Peter.  No big deal, right?!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am not like any of these guys!  Yes, I've had my moments where my faith has been sure and strong.  I've trusted God when He said move to India for 5 months.  I had faith that He would provide the finances and make sure I stayed healthy.  My faith never waivered when He called me into full-time missions for 6 years.


But, to be honest, I am much more like Thomas - the doubting disciple.  You know what?  I'm OK with that, for the most part.  You know what else?  Jesus is too.

After Jesus' death and resurrection, He appears to His disciples.  Except Thomas wasn't there, so he didn't believe the disciples when they told him they'd seen Jesus.  In fact, he said he wouldn't believe unless Jesus showed him the scars.  A week later, Jesus appears to His disciples again, and this time Thomas was present.  Jesus comes to Thomas and says, "see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side."

You see, Jesus isn't afraid of our questions and our doubt.  He's OK with us wanting to see and touch.  Like Thomas, when we reach out and touch Him, we believe.  When we ask questions, we grow closer to Jesus.

Here's the challenge, though - Jesus tells Thomas to "stop doubting and believe."  As we grow and mature in our relationship with Jesus, one day there will undoubtedly come a time when He tells us the same thing.  Stop doubting and believe. 

Are you like Thomas?  Has Jesus ever said to you, "stop doubting and believe"?

No comments: