Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What My Dog Taught Me About God

My lovable pup, Brutus
Has your pet ever taught you something about God?  

Last night, mine did.  Brutus and I went for a short walk a little after 10pm.  Not far from the house, I spotted the teeniest, tiniest frog you can imagine.  He hopped right in front of me and then stopped.  Brutus, being the curious little pup that he is, wanted to check the frog out.  He would get as close as he could to sniff the frog, but then he would get scared and jump back.  Then curiosity would get the best of him, and he would creep closer to the frog and start sniffing.  All the while, the frog stood stone still, allowing Brutus to check him out.  This process went on for a few minutes, then we resumed our walk.

What does this have to do with God?

Well, I may be stretching things a bit, but bear with me.  I started thinking how God is like the frog and we are like Brutus.  (Yes, I just compared God to a frog & people to a dog!)

What do I mean?

Psalm 34:8 tells us to "taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him." Often times God hops right in front of us and just sits there, patiently, for us to come check Him.  He wants us to come near to Him and see that He's OK.  That He really, truly is good.  And that He's not going anywhere.  He wants us to trust Him, and as another version says, to take refuge in Him.

More times than not, we're like Brutus.  We timidly approach God, thinking He's going to scare us, or get angry with us, or just plain leave.  Sometimes we sniff in His direction and think that maybe He's alright, that maybe He really is OK.  Maybe we even begin to think He's good.  Then something happens, and just like Brutus, we jump.  We turn away from God.

But something draws us back, be it curiosity or simply remembering that God never left.

And the process continues.

I don't know about you, but I've acted like Brutus on numerous occasions in my relationship with God.  He bids me come, to know His goodness, but I've been timid.  Afraid that He might leave or not really be good like He says He is.  I've turned away from Him so many times, and returned just as many.

Thankfully, just like the frog, God stays stone still.  He never leaves.  And He continues to draw me near, encouraging me to taste and see that He is good.

What has your pet taught you about God?  Are you like Brutus, curious about God yet afraid that He might not be as good as He says He is?

2 comments:

Denise Dilley said...

wow, denise! this post made me tear up a bit. i couldn't help but think of all the times i have jumped away from god. but when i realized that i needed him he was still where i had left him - right in front of me. even in our deepest pains and harshest realities, god never leaves. i find it extremely comforting.


as far as my pet teaching me about god? she does it all the time! she helps my wife and me take life less seriously. when we're in a grumpy mood she usually trots over and jumps up on us and licks us. plus, even when we are particularly mean or short with her, she always forgives us.

Denise Dilley said...

It is definitely comforting to know that God never leaves. It's sometimes overwhelming to realize how patient and kind He is with us, and to feel the depth of His love for us.


I love how pets can teach us so much! My dog definitely teaches me about keeping no record of wrongs and forgiveness all the time. If only I could learn to apply that to my life. :)