Sunday, October 5, 2014

Community {Day 5}

Sundays are one of my most favorite days. They're typically busy from sun-up to sun-down, but I love them. I love them because I'm surrounded by the church. Not the four walls of a building, though I do attend church in a place that has four walls, but people. People who are like me and you with all the hurts, struggles, joys, blessings. Whatever our individual realities, whenever we come together we are one. A community of Jesus followers who long for acceptance and grace and understanding and love who actually get it. 

I know some of you haven't found a community like that, and I understand. I didn't always like Sundays. There was a period of time in my life where I struggled to find a church who felt like family. A community where I could be me with all my imperfections and flaws. There were days, weeks, months and even years where I'd attend a church and felt completely unnoticed and umwelcomed. I would serve Sunday after Sunday and folks would say "hi" but never ask me about myself, my family, or anything else. They didn't try to befriend me or invite out for lunch or even just coffee. 

Truly, for a long time I felt like the church was just a clique. A social club for believers. They were on the inside and didn't really care about those on the outside. And even if you were on the inside, you still had to fit into a certain category to really fit in. 

Fast forward to today and I've found a church that doesn't care about being a social club. They care just as much for those who walk through the doors as those who might never enter. They mean it when they say "come as you are" by not judging but welcoming all with open arms. 

Tonight as I sat all cozy in a living room with others who've found the same sense of community, my heart was overwhelmed. I listened as several folks shared their stories, of where they've been and where they are now, of how this church - these people who are the church - showed them God's love and their lives have been forever changed. This, my friends, is what community is all about! 

Have you struggled to find a community where you feel at home? Are you still looking or have you finally found your community?


No comments: